读the pragmatic programmer
Your Knowledge Portfolio
Managing a knowledge portfolio is very similar to managing a financial portfolio:
1. 1. Serious investors invest regularly—as a habit.
2. 2. Diversification is the key to long-term success.
3. 3. Smart investors balance their portfolios between conservative and high-risk, high-reward investments.
4. 4. Investors try to buy low and sell high for maximum return.
5. 5. Portfolios should be reviewed and rebalanced periodically.
To be successful in your career, you must manage your knowledge portfolio using these same guidelines.
Building Your Portfolio
• • Invest regularly. Just as in financial investing, you must invest in your knowledge portfolio regularly. Even if it's just a small amount, the habit itself is as important as the sums. A few sample goals are listed in the next section.