What is SwingWT?
SwingWT offers many benefits:
- More responsive GUIs and faster startup times
- Less RAM usage for applications
- Many developers prefer the Swing API
- Existing Swing applications don't need to be recoded
- Mature Swing UI designers can be used
- Developers deploying to *nix/Win32 can compile natively with GCJ and the applications can be distributed without a VM. Linux distribution makers could package many existing Java/Swing applications that previously could not be distributed in workable state.
- SWT components can be directly accessed through the API, allowing mix and match (make eclipse plugins with Swing!)
- All platform benefits such as font sub-pixel decimation for LCD monitors (unavailable in Swing)
- Use Swing on mobile devices!
- The best of both worlds! New Swing components for JClosableTabbedPane, JCoolBar, JTaskTrayItem..
- Insulation from changes to the SWT APIs
- Insulation from differences between SWT platforms
See the SwingWT Javadocs.