Current Release: Version 2.1.19
Development: Version 3.0.20-rc2
Project last updated: September 12, 2008
The Story so far...
A few years ago, I found myself writing my first PHP projects using metapad. When I was looking around for text editors with syntax highlighting, I have come across the Scintilla source code editing component. I was very much impressed by this project, so I decided to create my own Scintilla-based text editor.
The result is Notepad2, a fast and light-weight Notepad-like text editor with syntax highlighting. This program can be run out of the box without installation, and does not touch your system's registry.
- Notepad2.txt - Readme File (details the change log).
- Notepad2 FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions.
- Converting to a native Win32 Unicode application.
- The Spirit of Open Source.
Articles on Replacing the Windows Notepad
- How to replace notepad.exe with notepad2.exe
- WinXP SP2 - How to Replace Notepad.exe
- Replacing Notepad in Windows Vista
Modified Versions of Notepad2
- Notepad2 with code folding and more - based on current releases.
- Notepad2 with Lua syntax highlighting - based on Notepad2 1.0.12.
- Notepad2 with NSIS syntax highlighting - based on Notepad2 2.1.19.
- Notepad2 with Ruby syntax highlighting - based on Notepad2 2.0.15.
- Notepad2 with ABAP syntax highlighting - based on Notepad2 2.1.19.
- Notepad2 with Powershell syntax highlighting - based on Notepad2 2.1.19.
- NotepadCrypt - Notepad2 2.0.15 with file encryption features.
- Notepad2 MOD - SourceForge project based on Notepad2.