下一个关于拥有成功的一生最好的预测指标是自觉性
The next best predictor of lifetime success is conscientiousness.
在自觉性的两个方面,在条理性和勤奋程度中
Of the two aspects of conscientiousness, say, orderliness and industfiousness,
更好的预测指标是勤奋程度
the better predictor is industriousness.
所以这个问题就是"Well, 我可以对我的勤奋程度做些什么呢?”
So the question is 'Well, what can you doabout your industiousness?"
答案是,那也比较困难
And the answer to that, is... well,thats kind of rough too,
因为这其中有浓厚的遗传成分
because theres a strong genetic component, but
你可以在关于自觉性方面的小习惯上下功夫
You can work on micro habits with regards toyour conscienttousness,
我认为最好的小习惯
and Ithinks the best micro habits
:这跟这些未来创作规划过程相关
this is partly to do wutththese Future Authoring program processes).
我认为关于你的自觉性你能够做的最好的事情是
I think the best thing you can do with regards to your conscientiousness, is to...
给自己设置些目标。 你看重的目标
setup some aims for yourself. Goals, that you actually value.
未来创作规划帮助人们做到这一-点
And the Future Authoring program helps people do that.
基本来说,它做了一个形势分析...
And basically, it does a situational analysis of-
它帮助你做了你的人生的形势分析
It helps you do a situational analysis of your life,
不仅仅是一个心理分析,我会说
more than a psychological analysis, I would say.
所以发问的问题就像是这个样子
And so, the questions are something like, well
“好的,你需要对你的生活付出一些努力
Alright, youre gonma have to put some effort into your life.
而且你需要有动机去做这些。
And youneedto be motivated to do that."
所以,潜在的动机的源泉是什么呢?
And So, what are the potential sources of motivafion?
Well,你可以通过“五大方式”来思考它们
Well, you could think about them in the Big Five manner, you know,
如果你是外向的,那么你想要朋友,
1) if you're extroverted, you want friends,
2)如果你是爽快的,那么你想要一段亲密的关系,
2) if you're agreeable, you want an intimate relationship,
3)如果你是讨嫌的,那么你想要赢得比赛,
3) if you're disagreeable, you want to win competitions,
4)如果你是开放的,那么你想要参与创造性的活动,
4) if you're open, you want to engage in creative activity,
5)如果你非常神经质,那么你想要安全,
5) if you'te high in neuroticism, you want security.
Okay,这就是所有你可以应用,
Okay, So those are all sources of potental motvatton,
为自己的个性量身定制的
that you could draw on, that you could tailor to yourown,
潜在动机的源泉
you know, your own personality.
但是然后又有了
But then there are dimensions,
你想在上面酌量你的人生的维度
that you wanna consider your lite across.
所以,我们询问人们
And SO, we asked people about, ell....
“如果在3到5年内你可以拥有你想要的生活,
"You know, f you could have your life the way you wanted it, in 3 to 5 years,
如果你照看好你自己的话?
计f you were taking care of yourself properly, you know:
1)你想要从你的友情中获得什么?
1) What would you want from your friendships?
2)你要想从你的亲密关系中获得什么?
2) What would you want from your intimate relationship?
3)你想怎样组织你的家庭?
3) How would you like to structure your family?
4)你想要从你的事业中得到什么?
4)What. do you want for your career?
5)你会怎样利用你工作之外的时间?
5) How are you going to use your time outside of your job?
6)你会怎样管理你的身心健康?
And 6) How are you going to regulate your mental, physical mental and physical heauh
你的毒品和酒精滥用?
And maybe also 7) Your drug and alcohol use."
因为这是一个很好的用来深究下去的点
Because that's- that's a good place to auger down.
举例来说,酗酒消灭了百分之五到百分之十的人
You know, cauSe alcoholism for example, wipes out, you know, 5-10% of people.
所以,你得把这控制住
So, you wanna keep that under control.
然后你做出一个愿景,一个你想要你的生活变成什么样子的愿累
And then you develop a vision, of what you would like your life to be,
一旦目标建立,
So the goal, once the goal is established,
然后你把目标分解成你能够实施的微过程,
and then you break down the goal into microprocesses, that you can implement,
微过程变得有奖励性,和它们与目标的因果关系相关
the microprocesses become rewarding, in relation to their causal association with the goal
这和你的激励奖励系统纠缠
And that tangles in your- your incentive reward system, you know.
我们讨论了“多巴胺激励奖励系统”
We talked aboutthe "dopaminergic incentive reward system",
它就是使你保持前进的动力
and thats the thing that keeps you moving forward.
它的工作原理是如果当它能够看到你向着一个有价值的目标前进时
And the way ntworks, is hat it works better, if it produces posttre emotion,
产生积极地情绪,它能够更好地工作
when it can see you moving towards a valued goal.
好的,这其中的意义是什么呢?
Okay well, what's the implication of that?
最好有一个有价值的目标!
Better have avalued goal!
因为除此之外,你不能够获得任何管用的积极的动力
Because otherwse. you can't get any positive motvaton working out.
所以,原则上来进、目标越有价值,
And so, the more valuable the goal, n prtinctple,
与目标关联的微过程越开始承载正能量
the more the mferoprocesses associated with that goal, stantto take on a postxe chage
所以,这就意味着
And so, what that means TS, welloe
你早上起床,然后你对于这一天很兴奋你准备好了出发。
You get up in the morning, and you're excited abouthe day, youte ready to go.
所以,就我所知,你要做的是:
And so, as far as Icantell, what you do iss
你明确你的长期理想
you specify your long term ideal
或许你明确一个你想远离的境地
Maybe you also specify a place you wanna stay the hell away trom,
以至于你害怕失败,还有你对于成功很期待
SO that you're terrified to fail, as well as excited about succeeding,
因为这也管用。
cause that's also useful.
你明确你的目标,在某种意义上作为一个独一无二的个体
YOU specify your goal. You do that, in some sense, as a ungue Indtvidual.
你想要明确能够让你说
You wanna specify goals, that make you say:
“哦!作为努力的结果,如果那能实现,那么这将是值得的!”的目标
"Oh! f that could happen, as a consequence of my effors,配t would clearty be worthwth
因为问题永远是:为什么要做某件事?
Because, the queston always lis: 00hy do something?
因为什么都不做是最简单的
Cause doing nothing is easy.
你只是坐在那里,而且你什么都不用做
You justsit there, and you don't do anything.
这很简单。
That's real easy.
问题又来了,你为什么要做点儿事儿呢?
The question is, why would you ever do anything?
答案应该是
And the answer that has to be;
因为通过某种方式你已经决定那是值得去做的!
Because youve determined, by some means that its worthwhile!
然后,接下来的问题可能是:
And then, the next question inight bes
好。你应该在哪里找值得去做的事情?
Well, where should you look for Worthwhile things?
其中一个是:
And one would be:
好,你可以参照你的性情!
Wellyou could consult your own temperament!
另一个是
And the other would be:
好,你看看人们积累的、在整个人生中有价值的是什么,
Well, you kind of look at what it is, that people accrue, that's valuable, across the lifespan.
你做个人的存在的字组件的结构分析!
So, you do a structural analysis of the sub-components of human existence!
我们之前已经做过了
And [wve] already did that!
你需要一个家庭,你需要朋友!
You needa family, you need friends!
你不需要所有这些,但是你最好拥有其中的大多数
Lke, you dont needto haveall these things, but you better have most of them.
家庭、朋友,事业,受教育目标,工作之外时间的规划
Famiy ttends, career, educatonal goals, plans for, you know, time outside of work
对于你身心健康的关注等等!
attention to your mental and physical health, et cetera!
这就是人生!
You know, that's what life is about!
如果以上你都没有,
And if you don't have any of those things, well.
那么你被剩余的就只是苦楚和痛苦!
Then all you've got left, is misery and suftering!
这对于你来说是件糟糕的事情
So that's- that's a bad... That's a bad deal for you,
但是一旦你建立了那目标结构,
So. So, butonee you set up that goal structure,iet's say,
在很多方面,这就是你应该在大学里做的事情
and thats eally, in many woays. that's what you should be doing aluntversttes.
这恰恰是你应该做的,努力去搞清楚
That's exaotly what you should be doing - is trying to figure oute
你想要的成为什么样的人?
Who it is, that you're trying to be?
是不是?然后你瞄准这个目标
Right? And you aimat that.
然后使用所有你学习的知识作为变成你想要成为的那个人的一个方式
And then use everything you leam, as a means of building that person that you wanna be
我的意思是“想要成为!”不是“应该成为”
1 really mean "want to be!" I don't mean "shouidber,
就算这两个有重合
exen hose things- those things are gonna overlap.
区分两者很重要,因为这部分...
And its important to distinguish betweenthose because thats party
如果我说,你想要使你自己变得更勤奋。
sO, if I say, well, you gonnatry to make yourself more industfious,
OK,第一条:明确你的目标
Okay, #1: Spectyyour damn goals
因为如果你都不知道要击中什么,你怎公可能击中?
Cause ho are you gomna hit something, if you dont know whatitis?
这是不可能的!
Tihat isn't gonna happen!
人们也经常不去明确他们的目标,因为他们不喜欢明确失败的条件
And oten people wont specify their goals too, causetney dont lke to specifyconditions for feiure .
如果你把自已搞得又朦胧又模糊,这很容易做到,
So, if you keep yourself all vague and foggy, which is real easy,
因为这也仅仅是不作为,
because that's just a matter of not doing as well,
那么你不知道你什么时候失败了!
then you don't know whenyou fail!
然后人们会说: “我真的不想知道我什么时候会失败,因为这很痛苦!
And people might say: "Well, I really don't wanna know whenIfail, because that's painful
所以我就把我自己蒙蔽,看不到我什么时候将要失败!
So I'll keep myself blind about when I fail!"
没关系,除了你将会一直失败下去!
That's fine, except you'll fail all the time then!
你只不过不会知道自己失败了,直到你失败得一塌糊涂以至于你部完了
Just wont know it until you failed SO badly, that you're done.
这很容易在你40岁的时候发生
And that cEn easily happen by the time you're 40.
所以,我建议你不要让这种情况发生
So, S0...0 would recommend that you don't let that happen,
这就是故意眼瞎,是不是?
So thats oltunl blindness, right?
J以知道! (敲黑板了, 教授又用到了虚拟语气。 感觉教授经常用虚以
Youn couldl have known!
但是你选择不去知道
But you chose not to.
OK,一旦你把你的目标结构建立起来你会想:
Okay. so once you get your goal structure set up, you thinks
OK,如果我拥有这样的人生,看起来这大概是值得去这样生活的。
Okay, if Icould have this life, looks like that might be worth living"。
尽管事实是这将会刺激焦虑产生和有危险的
Despite the fact that it's gonna be, you know, anxiety provoking and threatening,
而且会有一-些痛苦和损失搀合在所有这里面
and there's gonna be some suffering and loss involyed t杭al ofthat.
很明显
Obviously.
目标是拥有一个你的人生的愿景,
The goalis to have a vision for your life,
以至于说考虑到全部,这能够证明你的努力没有白费
such that all things considered, that justifies your effort.
OK,然后你应该做什么?
Okay, So then what do you do?
然后你再开始微例行
Well, then。then you tumndown to the micro-rouine.
就好像是说:"OK,这是我要达成的目标。这个目标如何在
Its lke "Okay wel, his Ds what Cm aiming for. How does that instantate itself,
每天,每周,每月实例化呢?”
day to day, week to week, month tomonth?
这就是日历发挥难以置信的帮助的地方了
And thats where something lke a schedule, can be unbelievably usetul.
谷歌日历
Google Calendar.
做个日程表!
0Its like, make a damn schedule!
然后坚持根据日程表来做事!
And stick to it!
OK, '那么日程表的规则是什么?
Okay. SO what's the rule with the schedule?
它不是一个血淋淋的监狱!
Itsnot a bloody prison!
这是人们做错的第一件事!
Thats the first hing, that people do wrong!
你说:“ 我不想跟着日程表走。
Iis nke "Well I don't like to follow a schedule".
我问:“你安排的日程 表是什么样的?”
Iits like; "Well, what kind of schedule are you seting up?"
“我需要做这个。然后我需要做这个,然后我需要做这个
"Well, 0 sh Ihave to do this, then I have to do this, then 0 have to do his.
然后我去打游戏
You know andthen I just go play video games,
因为谁想做这些我需要做的事情啊?
because whowantstodo all these things, thati have todo?"
我说:“错!
Its like, WRONG!
安排日程出来!
Set the damn schedule up.
以便你拥有你想要的一天!
So that you have the day you want!
这就是诀窍!
Thats the trick!
就好像说:"OK,我有明天要安排日程,如果我把明天安排成
lis like "okay, Pve got tomerrow, if I was gonna settup,
我能够拥有的可能的最好的一天
So its the best possile day I could have,
从实际出发,明天会是什么样子呢?
practically speakng, what would it look like?"
然后你安排日程!
Well. then you schedule that!
很明显地,这牵扯到一点责任
And obvtousty, there's abit of responsbintythat's gonna go alongwtih that,
因为如果你有一点理智的话, 你会坚信的一件事是
because 7 you have any sense, one of the things that you're gonna insist upon,
在这一天将要结束的时候,
is that at the end of the day,
你不比你在这天开始的时候要糟糕, 是不是?
you're not in worse shape than you were at the beginning of the day, right?
因为那是愚蠢的一天!
Cause that's a stupid day!
如果你连续这样好多天,你就是在挖坑,给自己挖坑,
If you have a bunch of those in a row, you just dig, you know, you dig yourself a hole,
然后你把自己埋了进去!
and then you bury yourself in it!
抱歉,这不是一个好的策略
It's like- sorry, that's just not a good strategy.
它是一个糟糕的策略
It's a bad strategy.
或许你一天的百分之二十需要是责任和义务相关
So, maybe 20% of your day has to be responsibility and obligation.
或者或许比百分之二十更多,取决于你有多落后
or maybe it's more than that depending on how far behind you are.
但是即便是这样,你也可以问自己: “OK, 我有这些责任,
Buteventhat you can ask yoursel "Okay well, I've got these responstbiltes,
我需要安排日程,正确的责任奖励的比率是多少呢?”
1 have to schedule the damn things in, what's the right ratio of responsibilty to rewar
你可以询问你自己,就像是你在跟某个给你工作的人谈判-样
And you can ask yourself that. just like you'd negotatewith someone, who is workingtoryou
就像是说:“OK, 你需要明天工作。
ITt's ike - okay, you gotta work tomorow.
"OK,我想要你明天工作。
Okay,SO "I want you to work tomorros".
你可能会说:’”OK,你会为我做什么
Andlyou might Say: "Okay well, what are yougonna do for me,
来让我可能为你工作?”
that makes it likely, that I'll workfor you?"
你可以这样问自己
Wel you could ask yourself that.you know.
或许你可以做-个小时的责任工作
Maybe you do an hour of responsibility,
然后你玩1 5分钟的游戏
and thenyou play a video game for 15 minutes.
不论什么能够让你工作的事情。
I don't kno8, wthatever turns your crank, man.
但是你需要跟你自己谈判,不要压迫自己!
Butyou know, you have to negotiate with yourself, and not tyrannize yourself!
就好像是你在跟你关心的
LIke youte megotiating with someone that you care for,
你想要的他变得多产。拥有一个美好生活的人谈判样!
hat you would like to be productive and have a good Iifel
这就是你如何给自己制定一一个日程
And and that's how you make the schedule, it's like
然后你看看安排的这一天,你想:
And then you look athe day, and you think:
“如果我能够拥有这一天,那么这便是极好的。
IWell 89 0 had that day, that'd be good."
好!
Great!
你知道,你又没用又可憎,所以你可能只能完成百分十七小
You know, andyoure useless and hordble, so you'll probably only hi it woth about 70% acgurac
但是这比零强多了!
But that beats the hell out of zero!
是不是?而且如果你甚至只完成了百分之五十
Right? And if you hit it eveno0th50% accuraCy,
另外-条规则是:下一周完成百分之 五十
anotherrulets: Well, aim for 51% the nextweek,
或者是百分之五十点五,看在上帝的份上,或者.2.0
or 50.5% for God's sake, or.
因为你终会到达一个
Becauseyouregonnahit that position,
事情开始良性循环,螺旋地托你向上走的状态
wthere things start to loop back posttsely, and spiral you upward!
这是一个你可以提升你的自觉性的方法
And SO..o So that's one way that youcan work on your conselenttous.
做你想要的生活的规划!
Plan of life, you'd like to have!
你通过部分参照社会规范来实现
And- and you do that partly by referringto social norms,
这多多少少就是'从鲸鱼的肚子里营救你的父亲”
that's more or less rescuing your father from the belly of the whale,
做这的另一个方法是和你自己开始一个简短的交谈
but the other way you do that, is by having a ittle conversation with yourself, about.
就好像是你不认识你是谁似的
As if you don't really know who you are.
因为你知道你是什么样子的,你不会做别人告诉你做的事情
Because you know what you're like, you won't do what you're told.
你不会做你告诉自己要做的事情
You won't do, what you tell yourself to do.
你肯定注意到了这个!
You must have noticed THAT!
就好像是:你是一 个糟糕的员工,和一个更糟糕的老板。
It's like, you're a bad employee, and a worse boss.
这两个都是为你工作。
And both of those work... you know, for you.
你不知道你想要做什么,
You don't know what you wanna do,
然后你告诉自己要做什么,你无论如何也不会做
and then when you tell yourself what to do, you don't do it anyways.
你应该开除你自己,另找一个人来,
You should fire yourself, and find someone else to be, but...
但是我的论点是,你需要理解
But, you know, my point is, is that you have to understand,
你不是你自己的佣人,
that you're not your own servant, SO to speak.
你是一个你需要与之谈判的人
i Youlre someonethat you have to negotatewih.
你是一个你想要的把拥有美好生活的机会给予他的人!
and that's, and youresomeome that you want to present the opportunity of having a good
这对人们来说很难,因为他们不很喜欢自己!
And that's hard for people, cause theydon't inke themselyes very much!
所以他们总是好像抽自2-鞭子然后拖延
S0 you know, they're always like cracking the whip and then procrastinating,
抽自己一鞭子,然后拖延
and cracking the whip, and then procrastinating
上帝呀。这太无聊了,一个花费你的时间的多公可悲的方式
And Tt's like God, is so boring, angsucha pathete way of spending your time.
你知道这是什么样的,因为你大概每天浪费6个小时
And you know what that's hike, eause you probably waste like 6 hours园day.
前不久我们做过一个经济计算,是不是?
And 0 think, we did an economic calculation about that a while back, right?
你的时间差不多值50美元一小时。大概就是这个区间
Your timels probably worth 50 bucks an hour. Something like that.
你现在没有薪水领,但是你年轻
0 mean, youre notgetting paid that now, but you're young,
所以这是投资的时间
and so this is investment time,
你现在做的事情,将会在将来发挥成倍的作用。
and what you do now, is going to multiply its effects in the future.
比如说是50美元-小时,这非常合理’
So..o So lets say it's $50 an hour, whichis perfectly reasonable.
如果你天浪费6个小时,事实上你确实是,
So o you waste 6 hours a day, and youare,
那么一周你将会浪费两千美元,一年浪费十万美元
then youre wasting about S2,000 a week, or abou S100.000 a year.
所以,去这么干吧!
So like, go ahead!
但是这是你在每个小时付出的金钱
Bu hat's what it's costing you eveny hour.
你需要知道,你的时间值多少钱
Andyou need to know, what your damn time is worth.
比如说不是50美元吧,30美元
So, let's say it's not 50 bucks, it's 30.
随你,或许100美元。 大概就是这个区间
Whatever, maybe ts S100. It's somewhere in that range.
你应该扪心自问的一件事情是,当你度过了一个小时,
one ofthe things you should be asking yourself is, when you spend an hour,
我会付给某个人50美元来让他在这一-小时做同样的事情吗个
was that "Well, wouidkve lpaid someone 50 bucks, to have had that hour?"
如果这个答案是“不”那么或许你应该用你的时间做别的事情
And if the answer is "no", it's like: well, maybe you should do something else with your time.
这取决于你是否认为你的时间是有有价值的
And it depends on whetheror not you think that your time 1S worthwhile.
但是不去这样想的话,有趣的是,如果你认为你的时间没有价真,
Butthe tunny thing about not assuming that. iS O you assume your time isntworthwhile
会发生的是,你不仅不会随意地坐着,处于无忧无虑的福中
what happens, is you dont fust st around sorta randomly, in a state of responsibityless ble
反而你活受罪
What you do, is you sutter existentally.
所以这看起来是一个愚蠢的解决方案
And So... thalseems ike a stupid solution.