Process Monitor is a small free utility to monitor the system processes that are accessed, started, and stopped. This could be useful in determining if you suspect a virus on your machine.
Supported OS: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003
To install, simply launch the downloaded setup file and follow the onscreen instructions.
Note: Process Monitor requires WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) to be installed. Windows Me/2000/XP/2003 have WMI installed by default, but Windows 95/98/NT must install it. Visit Microsoft's download page to download and install WMI:
- Date/time of process and action taken (accessed, started, stopped)
- Full path of the process and the process ID
- Pause/resume the monitor
- Filter out processes accessed, stopped, and/or started
- Editable Normal Processes List (processes that are ignored)
- Show/Hide Normal Processes
- Set maximum number of processes to show
- Copy contents of grid to clipboard
- Save contents of grid to RTF file
- Print contents of grid to a printer