Invictus
不可征服
又译:成事在人
By William Ernest Henley (1849-1903)
威廉·埃内斯特·亨利(1849 – 1903)
Out of the night that covers me,
透过覆盖我的深夜,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
我看见黑暗层层叠叠。
I thank whatever gods may be
感谢万能的上帝,
For my unconquerable soul.
赐我不可征服的灵魂。
In the fell clutch of circumstance
就算被地狱紧紧拽住,
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
我,不会畏惧,也绝不叫屈。
Under the bludgeonings of chance
遭受命运的重重打击,
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
我满头鲜血,却头颅昂起
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
在愤怒和悲伤的尘世之外,
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
恐怖幽灵悄然出没,
And yet the menace of the years
还有,面对未来的威胁,
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
你会发现,我无所畏惧。
It matters not how strait the gate,
无论命运之门多么狭窄,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
也无论承受怎样的惩罚。
I am the master of my fate:
我是我命运的主宰,
I am the captain of my soul.
我是我灵魂的统帅。