MAINFRAME JCL UTILITY PROGRAMS:
- Print Program
1. Print QSAM data sets.
2. Print selected members of a PDS or entire PDS.
3. Print selected records from QSAM or PDS member.
4. Print PDS directory.
- Sequential Copy Program
1. The IEBGENER utility copies one sequential data set to another.
2. A member of a partitioned data set can be used as a sequential data set.
3. Used to Print sequential data sets, members of partitioned data sets or PDSEs.
4. It can also do some filtering of the data, change LRECL and BLKSIZE, generate records, and several other functions. However, the most common use is to simply copy data sets.
5. On some systems it is possible to send email from a batch job by directing the output of the IEBGENER to the "SMTP" external writer.
- Library Copy Program
1. Copy a PDS (or selected members) from one PDS to another.
2. Replace or rename PDS members.
3. Exclude members from a PDS that’s to be copied.
4. Merge partitioned data sets (except when unloading).
5. Copy a PDS to itself, reclaiming unused space (compress). If a PDS runs out of space, IEBCOPY can compress it.
6. Create a sequential form of a partitioned data set or PDSE for a backup or transport.
7. Unload a PDS to tape (called Unloading; PDS-> Seq).
8. Load a PDS to tape (called loading; Seq-> PDS).
9. Upgrade a load module for faster loading by MVS program fetch.
10. Copy and reblock load modules.
11. Convert load modules in a partitioned data set to program objects in a PDSE when copying a partitioned data set to a PDSE.
12. Convert a partitioned data set to a PDSE or a PDSE to a partitioned data set.
13. Copy to or from a PDS or PDSE data set, a member and its aliases together as a group (COPYGROUP)
- Compare Datasets Program
1. Used to compare two sequential data sets, two partitioned data sets or two PDSEs at the logical record level to verify a backup copy.
2. Fixed, Variable, or undefined records from blocked or unblocked data sets or members can also be compared.
3. However, you should not use IEBCOMPR to compare load modules.
4. IEBCOMPR is now replaced by the SUPERC utility (an ISPF/PDF tool).
- Test Data Generator Program
1. Used to provide a pattern of test data to be used as a programming debugging aid. This pattern of data can then be analyzed quickly for predictable results.
2. IEBDG also gives you the option of specifying your own exit routine for monitoring each output record before it is written
- Edit Job Stream Program
1. To create a data set containing a selection of jobs or job steps. These jobs or job steps can be entered into the job stream at a later time for processing.
- Create Printer Image Program
1. Modify, print, or link modules for use with the IBM 3800 Printing Subsystem and IBM 4248 printer modules and stores them in a library.
2. With this utility, many different forms or logos could be stored as images, and printed when needed, all using the same standard blank paper, thus eliminating the need to stock many preprinted forms, and the need for operators to stop the printer and change paper.
- ISAM data set Program
1. Copy an ISAM data set directly from one DASD volume to another.
2. Create a backup copy of an ISAM by copying it into a PS on a DASD /Tape.
3. Create an ISAM data set from an PS.
4. Print an ISAM data set.
- PDSE Validation Program
1. To validate a PDSE data set and determine whether it is valid or corrupted.
- Update Data Set Program
1. Incorporate source language modifications into PS or PDS, or PDSEs
2. Create and update data set libraries
3. Modify existing sequential data sets or members of PDS or PDSEs
4. Change the organization of a data set from PS to PDS or PDSE, or the reverse.
5. IEBUPDTE is commonly used to distribute source libraries from tape to DASD.
- Access Method Services Program
1. Generates and modifies VSAM and Non-VSAM datasets.
2. It probably has the most functionality of all the utility programs, performing many functions, for both VSAM and non-VSAM files.
3. It is also used to create alternate indexes.
4. Commands that carry out IDCAMS tasks include DEFINE, PRINT, LISTCAT, REPRO, ALTER, VERIFY and DELETE.
- Branch to Reg. 14 Dummy Program
1. Dummy program. Does Nothing. To provide a zero (0) completion code.
2. Normally inserted to JCL when the only desired action is allocation or deletion of datasets or JCL Syntax checking for errors.
3. It consisted a single instruction a "Branch to Register" 14. The mnemonic used in the IBM Assembler was BR and hence the name: IEF BR 14.
1. Equivalent to Device Support Facility (ICKDSF). Not available now.
- Device Support Facility Program
1. Installs, initializes and maintains DASD, either under an operating system, or standalone
2. It can also be used for such tasks as initializing disk volumes and detecting disk-related system errors.
- Initialize Tape Program
1. Used to place standard volume label sets onto any number of magnetic tapes mounted on one or more tape units
2. Multiple tapes may be labeled in one run of the utility. IBM standard (EBCDIC) or ASCII labels may be written.
- List System Data Program
1. A system utility used to list entries in the directory of one or more partitioned data sets or PDSEs, or entries in an indexed or to list the contents of a Volume Table of Contents (VTOC).
2. Any number of listings can be requested in a single execution of the program
- Move System DataProgram
1. Can be used to move or copy:
A sequential, partitioned or BDAM data set residing on one to five volumes.
A group of non-VSAM data sets cataloged in an ICF catalog.
A volume of data sets.
BDAM data sets with variable-spanned records.
2. On the surface, IEHMOVE may seen redundant to the IEBGENER and IEBCOPY utilities. However, IEHMOVE is more powerful. The main advantage of using IEHMOVE is that you do not need to specify space or DCB information for the new data sets. This is because IEHMOVE allocates this information based on the existing data sets.
3. Another advantage of IEHMOVE is that you can copy or move groups of data sets as well as entire volumes of data. Because of the ease in moving groups of data sets or volumes, the IEHMOVE utility is generally favored by system programmers.
4. However, IBM does not recommend using the IEHMOVE utility in a DFSMS environment. DFSMSdss should be used instead of IEHMOVE to move or copy data to volumes managed by the SMS. DFSMSdss or IEBCOPY should be used to process PDSEs. You cannot use IEHMOVE with PDSEs, ISAM or VSAM data sets, or large format sequential data sets.
- Program Maintenance Program
1. Scratch (delete) a data set or a member of a partitioned data set.
2. Rename a data set or a member of a partitioned data set.
3. Maintain data set passwords.
- List ESV Data Program
1. A system utility that formats and prints information from Type 21 SMF (system management facilities) records.
2. These records provide error statistics by volume (ESV) data.