screen is a much under utilised program, which provides the following functionality:
- Remote terminal session management (detaching or sharing terminal sessions)
- unlimited windows (unlike the hardcoded number of Linux virtual consoles)
- scrollback buffer (not limited to video memory like Linux virtual consoles)
- copy/paste between windows
- notification of either activity or inactivity in a window
split terminal (horizontally and vertically) into multiple regions
- locking other users out of terminal
See also my screen settings
See also the tmux alternative
See also the byobu screen config manager.
See also the reptyr as another way to reattach programs to a terminal.
Note for nested screen sessions, use “Ctrl+a a” to send commands to the inner screen,
and the standard “Ctrl+a” to send commands to the outer screen.