941. Four years of war drained the country of men and resources.
这是纯粹的英文表现法，和中文不同，其形式为“他动词+宾语+介词+the+名词”。中国话一定用属格，而英语则先把整个的对象说出来，然后再说到那对象身体的局部。这是大处着眼，小处着手的变法。身体的局部接受动作时，不用代名词的属格“one’s”，而采用 “介词+the+名词“的形式。这类动词有seize, catch, take, strike, drag, pat, hit, hold, pull, stare, look等，而介词则有 by, on ,in, over, across, with等
942．He seized me by the arm.
943. Don’t let them lead you by the nose.
944. He kissed his horse on the forehead.
945. He struck e on the head.
946. I caught him by the right hand.
947. He pulled me by the sleeve.
948. He looked me in the face.
949. I gave him a blow on the head.
950. He wounded me in the arm.
951. He slapped me on the shoulder.
952. Poverty stared him in the face.
953. He presumed in the gentlest manner to take her by her hand
954. He came out to see if it had begun to rain.
955. He came out to see that the boy did not get hurt.
see if 中的if 是whether 解的。而see that中的see则有take care的意思。这个see that 实际上是see to it that的省略说法，等于look well to it; attend; consider; take care等
956. See if he can do it.
957. Go and see if there is anything to eat.
958. Go and see what is the matter.
959. Let’s see how the land lies.
960. See how the wind blows.
961. I will see that they do it.
962. I will see that he pays you. ( See that you are paid ; See you paid. )
963. See to it that this does not occur again.
964. See to it that you do not offend him.
965. I will see to it that everything is ready for your departure.
966. See to it that the boys learn the lesson well.
967. See to it that the work is done before dark.
968. I will see (that) you avenged.
969. I will see that you hanged first.
它的形式等于“assume as true”, 可译做 “认为当真”，“假定是实”，即并无明确的证据，也信以为真的意思。
970. I take it for granted that you will be interested in it , too.
971. I just took it for granted that we will close on May Day.
972. I took it for granted that he would come.
973. He takes nothing for granted .
974. I took his qualifications for granted.
975. They themselves take their love for granted, and do not care what strangers may think about it.
976. I took for granted the innumerable little jobs she did for me.
977. From your manner I am to take it as true.
978. Physical and intellectual miracles we take for granted.
“used to + 原形不定词”与 “be used to + 动名词”
used to +do 的形式，表示过去的习惯，即以前常那样做，现在已不那样作了。而 “be used to doing”, 是表示现在的惯常行为，其中的“be ”，有时可说成“get ”，
979. He used to do such things.
980. He is used to doing such a thing.
981. I am used to sitting up late at night.
982. I used to sit up late at night.
983. He climbs a mountain every Sunday.
984. He will often climb a mountain of a Sunday.
985. He used to climb a mountain on a Sunday.
986. He would often climb a mountain when young..
987. He would often sit for hours , book in hand.
988. Sometimes the boys would play a trick on their teacher.
989. He used to play tennis before his marriage.
990. When I was a boy, I would ( used to ) get up early。
991. People used to think that the sun went round the earth .
992. He usedn’t to answer.
993. I used to go dishing on Sundays when I lived in Taipei.
994. I am used to the military life now.
995. I’m sure it’s because she is not used to the new typewriter yet.
996. I got (became ) used gradually to the vegetarian diet.
997. The country inn was as pleasant as it used to be in the old times.
998. That is how automobiles used to be made.
999. The book used to belong to you? (Gissing)
1000. I used to remonstrate with Laura like a fussy old uncle but she’d only laugh.
1001. There are some of butterflies that used to be quite common, and now they are quite rare; I expect in a few years there will be none left at all..
1002. Sometimes he used to tell us of his expeditions through the woods and fields round his home, and how he explored the solitary brooks and ponds; and then he would describe the curious animals and birds he saw.
1003. “I often used to have a bit of fun with her, in the hold times!” Mr. Bailey spoke as if he had already had a leg and three-quarters in the grave,, and this had happened twenty or thirty years ago.
be + 自动词的过去分词
在动词“be”之后接用自动词的过去分词，不可看作被动语态，而应视为一种完成时才对，因为那是指某自动词的动作在完成后的状态。现在的完成式只有“have +done”一种形式，但在古英文的时代是“have +宾语+过去分词”。这类自动词，尤其表运动、变化、终止等，如“come, go, arrive, fall, arise, become, grow, change, die, depart, rise, set, ”仍保留“be +过去分词”的形式。
1003. Spring is come.
1005. We are prepared for the worst.
1006. He was married.
1007. The train was stopped.
1008. The day for payment is come.
1009. All hope is gone.
1010. I was determined to go.
1011. The sun is risen.
1012. The sun is set.
1013. My money is gone.
1014. She found that her strength was gone..
1015. He is dressed elegantly.
1016. Here’s Mr. Land come all the way from Yorkshire.
1017. Arrived at the spot, the party lost no time in getting to work.
1018. All the guests are arrived and we’ll have dinner served right now.
1019. I am agreed to accept the offer.
1020. The weeds are grown.
“ 否定 + fail + 不定词”，英文的“can’t fail to do ”和“can’t but do”同意，可译作“一定，必须，不得不”等。
1021. I shall not fail to do so.
1022. He never fails to accomplish his purpose..
1023. Never fail to come to me.
1024. Don’t fail to let me know.
1025. You will never fail to be moved by the beauty of the sight.
1026. I can’t fail to save enough money to buy a new watch.
“ 动词+原形不定词 ”， 在英文中两个动词是不能连用的，必须用“and”连接起来，或是把第二动词改为不定词。这种形式只不过是在第一动词后省略了“and”或“to”而已。
1027. Go bring me my hat.
1028. Let’s go talk to the other fellows.
1029. Won’t you go take a look at him?
1030. I’d better go fetch him before all the fish die of age.
1031. I’d better go telephone Dilly first.
1032. She’s better come get you, anyway.
1033. Better come join us.
1034. Run get the ball for me , Jamie.
1035. I like say something id you got a minute.
1036. He offered to help carry her basket.
1037. I have heard say he is a miser.
1038. Don’t leave go until I tell you.
1039. I hear say that there will be an election soon.
1040. I hear tell there’s a new arrival six days old.
1041. Let it go hang.
Leave + much (nothing) to be desired. 意为[极不完善]，[缺点很多]，nothing 则是相反的用法。意即非常完美。
1042.Your behaviour leaves much to be desired.
1043. It leaes nothing to be desired.
1044.The telephone service at Singapore leaves nothing to be desired.
1045. the system of water supply in the city leaves much to be desired.
1046. This steamer leaves nothing to be desired so far as comfort and luxury are
1047. The book leaves much to bedesired.
be +不定词。 这种表达法有许多不同的含义，他可以表“预定，可能，义务，假设，目的，结果，”
1048. He is to arrive at sever in the morning.
1049. We are to meet him at the airport.
1050. The meeting is to be held on Sunday.
1051. In the sky not a cloud was to be seen.
1052. Every misfortune is to be subdued by patience.
1053. Her feelongs as she read teh letter were scarcely to be defined.
1054. You are to stay here till i come back.
1055. You are always to knock before you enter my room.
1056. It was inderstood that everybody was to pay his own expenses.
1057. Let me know everything that i am to lnow without delay.
1058. She asked him what she was to do.
1059. If he were to come, say that i am absent.
1060. We are togo to town this afternoon.
1061. This house is to be let or sold.
1062. Not an instant is to be lost.
1063. And the augurs wee as clever as are politicians, who also most practise dicination, if ever they are to do anything worth the name .
1064. He was to blame for not locking the door.
1065. Am I to indersatand that you havve engaged yourself to this young gentleman?
1066. The prince of Wales has been touring the worldwide dominions of which , some day, he is to be the crown head.
1067.The worst is still to come.
1068. Certain skills must be learned if one is to use English effectively.
1069. If it is to be done at all, do it well.
1070. To see is to believe. (这句话的不定式不是上面所举例子的用法，它是名词补语，切不可混淆）
1071. I have a knife to sharpen my pencil with.
1072. The weather has to be good; otherwise, we'll postpone it.
1073. Do I have to go to bed now, mother?
1074. Wake them all up, if you have to, but find that paper!
1075. My doctor says i haven't to eat meat, but i don't have to take his advice if i don't want to.
1076. He has to get through work before eight.
1077. Everything had to have his approval.
1078. You don't have to decide this matter at once.
1079. I have to tell you something.
1080. I have something to tell you.
have + 不定词 +宾语 或 have + 宾语 + 不定词，这两种形式在意味上不一定有区别，大都是同意的。一般说来，have＋宾语的作“有”解，而“have +不定词
1061. I hve to spend much money.
1062. I have much money to spend.
1063. He has to write a composition.
1064. He has a cmposition to write.
1065. I have three miles to walk.
1066. Whom have I to complain of but myself?
1067. I have only to blame myself.
1068. As a matter of fact, he's having to sell his house.
1069. He has several letters to write.
1070. He has nothing to eat.
preven + 宾语 + from + 动名词，英文说的“prevent a person from doing something”，这种形式意即“hinder him so that he can't do it”
1081. Illness prevented him from going there.
1082. This is only to prevent him from going abroad.
1082. He could not keep from the use of tobacco.
1083. What prevented uou from coming last night?
1084. Urgent business prevented me from calling on you.
1085. Bad weather prevented us from starting. = We could not start because of bad weather.
1086. We must prevent the trouble (from) spreading.
1087. Please refrain from somking.
1088. Failure in the examniation should not deter you from trying again.
1089. Tired as I was exhausted, in fact, I was prevented from sleeping by the pain in my knee.
1090. If he would only keep from bad company,he might yet do well.
1091. Her lips were set together almost as if she was pinching them tight to prevent words or sounds from coming out.
1092. A man can never be hindered from thinking whatever he chooses so long as he conceals what he thinks
persuade + 宾语 + into + 宾语动名词 dissuade + 宾语 + from + 动名词. 它动词“ persuade”是劝人去做一件事，而“dissuade”则是劝人不要去做一件事，所以劝告成功，便是去做了（into doing )，或是不做了（from doing ). persuade 后常接用不定词以代替动名词。但反对字“dissuuade”后只能接don动名词，不可以接不定词。另外 “dissuade + 宾语 + from + 动名词”中的介词“from”有时可换用“ out of ”或 “ against”
1093. I persuaded him into doing so.
1094. I dissuaded him from doing so.
1095. They dissuaded people from ( against) going to Japan.
1096. The father dissuaded his som from leaving school.
1097. He was persuaded into doing it aginst his own wish.
1098. They dissuaded her from going on the stage.
1099. The priests of the old religions used to persuade the people to do all hurt to the Christians.
1100. I could not persuade her to ( into ) my way of thinking.
1111. They were delighted to learn of the arrival of our baby.（原因）
1112. Hw awoke to find himself famous.（结果）
1113. I little thought then that I left it , never to return.（结果）
1114. Few live to be a hundred.（结果）
1115. It is discouraging to tell the truth only to find that we are not believed.（结果）
1116. One day Mr. Nelson disappeared from town, never to be seen again.（结果）
1117. He must be a fool to say so.（理由）
1118. He must have studied hard to have succeded so splendidly.（理由）
1119. What a fool I was to have expected him to help me!（理由）
1120. They must be crazy to let him drive their car. He hasn't got a driver's lince.（理由）
1101. I have convinced her that she needs a holiday, but cannot persuade her to take one.
1102. I knew I should study, but he persuaded me to go to the movies.
1103. I went to see him off.（目的）
1104. I am glad to see you.（原因）
1105. He worked only to fail.（结果）
1106. We eat to live, (but do) not live to eat.（目的）
1107. The boy rushed his home work through and went out to play.(目的）
1108. They are selling red feathers to raise money for cripples children.（目的）
1109. She was hurt to find that no one admired her performance.（原因）
1110. She wept to see him in this condition.（原因）