Visual Studio 05 can be used as a powerful debug tool, and you may debug a binary file (exe or dll) as long as you have its corresponding *.pdb file and source code. You do not even have to create a VS project or solution.
Here is the steps:
1. Run the debug target first.
2. Attach VS2005 debugger to the process. (tools – Attach to process)
3. When the target is selected, the VS load all the needed symbols automatically.
4. In the modules window(debug – windows-- modules), right click the target and choose “load symbols”, and choose the corresponding *.pdb file.
5. Open the source file, *.cpp or *.c, and add the break point.
6. Then you may debug.