Why Are We Overweight？我们为什么会肥胖？
Dialogue Script 对话原文
Susan: Why are there still so many people overweight despite the current fitness craze?
Jack: I don't know. But there are some factors that affect people's size.
Susan: What are they?
Jack: One study said that low-income groups have a higher percentage of over-weight people than higher income families.
Susan: Are there any other factors?
Jack: Yes, the study also said that the hotter the climate, the lower the percentage of obese people.
Susan: That makes sense. When it's hot, you don't feel like eating a lot.
Jack: And the diet has a lot fat and oil. We eat a lot of meat. And also we eat more sugar and junk food. But there is another reason why so many people are fat.
Susan: What's that?
Jack: Nobody exercises anymore---not even kids. The average American home has the TV on for six hours a day!
Susan: Wow! No wonder people are so fat. You don't get enough exercise. Say, Jack, aren't you getting a little bigger in the waist?
Jack: Yeah, I guess so.
Susan: You really need to watch what you eat and get some exercise.
Jack: Hey, I started a diet and lost 10 pounds.
Susan: So what happened?
Jack: Well, I quit and gained it back plus 5 pounds.
Susan: You should have kept trying.
1. 这里Susan 和Jack在讨论肥胖的原因。造成肥胖的原因非常复杂。people's size，人体的体形、体重。肥胖不只是因为吃得太多或是运动不足所引起的，虽然饮食不当及运动不足可能导致体重过重，但事实上还有很多原因也会造成肥胖。 比如，基础代谢率低、身体活动量少、遗传基因等等。
2. 在这段对话当中说了几个原因, 第一个就是One study said that low-income groups have a higher percentage of over-weight people than higher income families. 低收入人群超重的比例比高收入人群高。overweight超重，那么underweight就是低于正常体重。
3. 对话中出现的第二个原因就是越热的地区，肥胖的人就越少， the hotter the climate, the lower the percentage of obese people. 这个形式大家要注意，用形容词的比较级来表示 “越…，就越…”。例如：The more, the better. 多多益善。
4. Anne表示同意，她说，That makes sense. make sense表示“有意义；意思清楚；有道理”。例如：It doesn't make any sense to me. 我完全不明白。feel like doing something 愿意或想做某事，比如对话中的 I don't feel like eating a lot. 我不想吃太多。
5. 第三个原因就是饮食习惯不好，And the diet has a lot fat and oil. 我们的食物当中有很多脂肪和油。Jack提到了肉，糖和垃圾食品。吃的太多当然会长胖。
6. Jack又接着说了第四个原因，Nobody exercises anymore---not even kids. 现在没有人锻炼了，甚至是孩子们。吃的多，动的少，当然体重会飙升。exercise表示“做运动，锻炼身体”，例如： You don't exercise enough. 你锻炼不够。或者是You don't get enough exercise. 还可以用work out 这个词组来表示，Peter works out in the gym everyday.彼得每天都在健身房锻炼。
7. 那不做运动做什么呢？The average American home has the TV on for six hours a day! 一个美国普通家庭平均每天看电视的时间是6个小时。has the TV on 让电视打着，就是看电视。No wonder people are so fat. 怪不得人们变的那么胖，缺乏锻炼。no wonder 这个短语表示“怪不得”，后面直接加上句子就行了。
8. Susan觉得Jack的腰又胖了一点，她是这么说的，aren't you getting a little bigger in the waist? get bigger in 加上身体部位，表示“身体的某部分开始发胖”。 但是Jack说他前一阵子已经开始节食了，并且减掉了10磅，但是没多久就放弃了，所以又胖回来了，还比原来重了5磅，I quit and gained it back plus 5 pounds.
9. 看来减肥是一项长期而艰巨的任务，否则就前功尽弃了，还特别容易反弹，所以那些在减肥或是打算减肥的朋友们，一定要坚持住啊，Keep Trying！